“I joined MARSOC for the same reason I became a Marine—intense, determined people who aren’t afraid to win.”
Corporal, 3rd MSOB
Critical Skills Operator
Critical Skills Operators (CSOs) and Special Operations Officers (SOOs) are assigned to billets at the team, company, and battalion levels. Enlisted Marines are designated CSOs and awarded the 0372 Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) while officers are awarded the Additional Military Occupational Skill (AMOS) of 0370. CSOs can stay in the fight with MARSOC for the duration of their Marine Corps career.
Special Operations Capabilities Specialist
Special Operations Capabilities Specialists (SOCS) are Combat Support Marines that are able to join MARSOC based upon their MOS skill and receive advanced special operations forces training and certification. SOCSs are operational and tactical force multipliers and frequently deploy alongside CSOs. SOCS billet fields include Intelligence, Communications, Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Dog Handlers, and Fire-Control Specialists. SOCSs are awarded the AMOS of 8071, and return to the operating forces after an extended tour of service with MARSOC.
- Special Operations Training Course (STC): Six weeks of unhindered, realistic, challenging basic and intermediate SOF war fighting skills training.
- Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape Training (SERE)
- MARSOF Level 1 MOS Specific Courses
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal (6 weeks)
- Communications (12 weeks)
- Intelligence (4-6 weeks)
- Joint Terminal Attack Controller (4 weeks)
- Multi-Purpose Canine (10 weeks)
- SARC/IDC Corpsman (13 months)
Special Operations Combat Service Specialist
Special Operations Combat Service Specialists (SOCS-Ss) are Combat Service Support Marines who serve one standard tour with MARSOC in their primary MOS, such as Motor Transport or Logistics. Their training includes core skills for joint and interagency work as well as enhanced SOF combat skills training to enable their successful integration and survivability in special operations environments.